Saturday, September 29, 2007

Kitchen floors and new high heels

Tonight was Lowell's homecoming dance. At 11:00 I went to the high school to pick up a few of the girls from the youth group...Annelyse, Emily, Nichole, and Mary to have our own little after party. I went inside the school so that finding each other would be easiest, and I was laughing to myself at the fact that for many of those girls, tonight was the first or second night they have ever worn high heels. I don't know why that struck me as so fascinating tonight. Most of them couldn't even walk right in them. It was more of an awkward shuffle. and if they weren't doing the "how do I walk in these shoes?!" shuffle, they were carrying them because of the physical pain that is often inflicted upon the wearer haha. Heels are so adult and so representative of being a woman. I have heard several men specifically say, "I love the way a woman walks in heels". When I was a little girl I couldn't wait for the day when I could click click click my way down a hall in some heels. and here these girls were, on this night- no longer girls, not quite women, shuffling along. and maybe I'm making too much of it, but it was quite amusing nonetheless.

Somehow whenever I have people over we always end up hanging out in my kitchen. Tonight was no different. We ate, laughed, slept (Mary), sat, and talked on my kitchen floor. I love it. I love these girls. I love their hearts and what they're learning about life and God. I love their dreams, questions, hopes, fears, boyfriends, and first kisses.

Girls are so fun. I love being a girl. Boys are so different, so often afraid to be tender and inviting to each other. Walls are up, pride is there. Girls, we just spill stuff out hoping that our trust won't be wasted.... we hope that saying "what ever we say here stays here!" or "don't tell anyone, but..." is enough. Girls need relationship, we need to be understood, heard, loved. and when it's not coming from anywhere else, atleast it's there in our friends....

:-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not gonna lie... there's just something about your kitchen... I can't really put my finger on it...